Monday, September 28, 2009

Stay-At-Home Mom

Since my last blog entry many things have happened but not much in exciting material to "blog" about.

My new blogging on Reality Check will now be a chronology of being a Stay-at-Home mom. This may not be exciting to some but as a Christian woman who has worked in business for over 20 years and planned on working in business for the rest of my life, children or not, this is a Huge leap of faith. I do mean FAITH. There is no other logical explanation for it.

God pressed upon me about a month or so ago to finalize my work. I made a list of my responsibilities, packed up my office and prepared my heart for the end of my job. What I didn't know was I was going to end my job with no health insurance back up, no other job/income to go to, no savings to fall back on and I would be the one to QUIT. This meant, no unemployment insurance.

The day I told my boss of 5 1/2 years, I was going to quit, the conversation began with him calling me in for a meeting. The atmosphere of the office was strange, but it was nothing I had never experienced in the past. This place was odd to say the least.

"I am letting the Sales Coordinator go and you will be taking over her position." he told me.

I had a lump in my throat. This is not at all what I wanted to hear. I wanted to go to him for a cut in my hours and work part time to be home when my daughter was home from school and work while she was at school.

I asked him if I still had to do all my other responsibilities or would this be my whole job. He told me he wanted me to keep doing my current job, minus the billing, which is what I was hired for 5 1/2 years ago and my expertise.

In the back of my mind I felt a nagging, "tell him. tell him what you really want." but I didn't listen to it.

I assured my boss I would help and be of full support knowing this was not what I should be doing and went into my office and paced. And paced. And paced some more, all the while wringing my hands and suffering from horrible stomach pain. I knew this was all wrong.

I pulled my boss into my office and with tears in my eyes, I pleaded with him not to let the other girl go. "I only want part time work, I don't want full time anymore." I blurted out, not believing what was coming out of my mouth.

He was speechless. I proceeded to explain, I need to be home with my daughter now. I want to come in at 9 am (vs. 8am) and leave at 2 pm (vs. 5pm). I just wanted 3 hours a day for my daughter. He looked at me puzzled like I was speaking a foreign language, "I have to think about this. I will be back." and off he went.

I felt the weight come off of me right away when I aired it all out. I was sure he would meet my request. I was a good employee and filled in many gaps for him and didn't think I was asking for too much.

He later came into my office after long deliberation, I'm sure; "I can't spare you part time, I need you full time." With that, I told him confidently but quietly, "So does my daughter." and the ball rolled from there.

I basically was told I had to quit if I wanted a part time job so I did. I gave 2 weeks notice on September 10th, 2009. It was the best 2 weeks of my employment there.

No comments: